Monday, June 13, 2011

The "I'm a jackass" hand wave.

We have all had moments of being a jackass driver. We may accidentally cut someone off. Sometimes we try to change lanes without looking first and almost side swipe someone. Maybe we brake too hard when a turn comes sooner than we first expected, making the car behind us have to slam on their brakes. Of course, if you aren't a ridiculously stupid driver, these moments are far and few between of one another. All I'm trying to get at is it happens to all of us.

When I make a jackass move while driving, I immediately throw my arm up in the air or out the window, waving the "I'm a moron" international sign to the car I accidentally screwed over. When another driver makes a dumbass decision which affects me, all they have to do is show me their own "I'm a jackass" hand wave. If they do this, all is immediately forgiven. They did something stupid, they realized it and most importantly, they admitted it.

There is another hand gesture that should be given when you want to say "thank you" to another driver. If you slow down to let someone into traffic or in your lane. It should be given when you appreciate that a driver did something for you. It looks exactly like the "I'm a jackass" hand wave. Very simple and meaningful.

Do you use these gestures? It really bugs the hell out of me when others don't use them. Especially when it should be done because I went out of my way for another driver. It's common courtesy I say.

10 comments:

Melis.sa said...

i couldn't agree more!

or the one car in and then i get to go rule when a bunch of cars are in a line leaving a sports complex or a concert. i'm letting one car in front of me then i'm going. none of this 9 car nonsense. gah.

jenn said...

Yup! Do both waves as appropriate! Another one that gets me is people not knowing how to merge. Or use a signal!!

areyoukiddingme said...

I thought it was just me!

~*JaYmE*~ said...

I use both of the signals but I also use my middle finger when needed =)

Julie said...

I definitely use these.

M said...

I hate it when I let someone inane they don't give me the thank you wake. Makes me immediately regret letting them in. And I do the "I'm a jackass" wave too!

zach05kate95 said...

Yes I do. I also "talk to" the cars around me when their drivers are being stupid. Sounds crazy, but helps reduce the tension

Sarah said...

Yes, I do the wave! I also do the hand move when someone waves me through (know what I mean)? Like a "thank you" wave.

Jennifer said...

I agree, but I don't like when people use the hand wave as permission to be a jerk especially when they wave first. I'm not talking about the oops...I totally just cut you off sorry about that, but the I'm cutting you off now. That just means it was premeditated. LOL

Anonymous said...

I drive the mean streets of the NYC. Nuff said! I'm a polite driver, I think, and I usually do the hand thing, but lots of people don't and I think they suck.