Sunday, January 30, 2011

The job search dull drums.

Dude.

Can I say that again? Dude.

Looking for a job right now sucks the big one. I went to a job fair for IBM last week and thousands of people showed up. I got there around 1:30 for the open house running from 10a - 4p. There were about 150 people ahead of me in line, and that was just to get into the event. Once inside, there were hundreds more packed into a banquet room, waiting for a chance at a five minute interview.

But I never even made it inside. When I made it to the front of the line, my resume was looked over and they found I had no public sector experience, only private. So I was sent packing.

I went to another job fair this week for multiple companies, the main one being Lockheed Martin. Again, once at the front of the line, 1 1/2 hours later, I was told they are only hiring people with secret clearances. Awesome. Thanks for advertising that.

I can't just go and get any job either. After school care for the girls will cost $250 each month. Full time daycare for Karl will cost about $1,200 per month. Plus, to cover bills, I will need to be making about $600 every two weeks on top of that. So unless I make at least $1450 every two weeks. And that's take home. Ugh.

Universe? I need some help here. Please?
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

8 comments:

Kristin said...

That seriously sucks Nancy. Hope you can find something good soon.

Kara said...

That sucks. I have a secret clearance though, they are expensive to get.

I'm job hunting. I've been out of work over a year. 4 months ago, we moved to Japan, thanks to the USMC. My only employer is now the US Govt. Slim pickings. Something will come along for you.

Lisa said...

Sorry to hear you`re having such a hard time finding a job. Hopefully something turns up soon. I guess the economy is still biting the big one!

Glad to hear that you are still around. I`ve missed your blogging...

Anonymous said...

Nancy, I'm so sorry. I'm in the same boat! I'm having trouble finding work too - slim picking here in NYC too. This is a market that's already oversaturated even in good times, so yea. I'm even having trouble looking for TEMP work - even though I have solid work history and am educated! My unemployment finally recently ran out too... so yea. Awesome isn't it? Then you here these reports that say the market is on the upturn and you want to throw stuff at the TV...

Hang in there! It's only a matter of time, one day at a time, I keep telling myself. What happened to the plan of possibly going back to school? I've actually been taking some classe at night myself...

BIG HUGS!!

Sarah said...

I'm sorry to hear it, Nancy. I hope the right one comes along. Too bad it couldn't be like it is on the sitcoms -- perfect, fun jobs with great people!

jenn said...

I'm sorry it sucks so bad! We are going through similar money issues with the hub. We're lucky enough that we have streamlined life & my (new) salary will cover us, but if he wants to work he needs to take home about the same as you to cover just full time daycare for the two kids. Not to mention gas money & a little extra to make working actually worth it!
It's hard & it sucks and I hope you have very quick success in finding a decent job! This recession (which I am sorry- ~IS~ still ongoing!) has changed a lot of priorities for a lot of people.

MrsSpock said...

I had a terrible time finding a job before I was a nurse- now I found my past few jobs asap- but I have experience and certification. I know quite a few new grad nurses who can't find a job either. When they stop hiring nurses, you know things suck.

Jules said...

Hey Nancy, sorry the IBM thing was such a bust. I will keep my eyes open for stuff and send along your way. Crossing fingers that something works out for you soon!