Thursday, November 6, 2008

I Feel Like Jennifer Grey

... dancing with Patrick Swaze in Dirty Dancing because all I can hear in my head is "And I've had the time of my life ..." playing over and over. Yes, my 3 hour GTT was ~that~ much fun. And yes, I had to look up dirty dancing in imdb.com to find out the girl's name for the title of my post.

For the first hour I wanted to puke. For the second hour I was all hopped up on sugar. For the third hour I crashed. By the last draw I felt normal again. Hopefully I'll pass and that will be that.

--- A definite change in subjects ---

I saw something today which totally goes hand in hand with my vaccinations conversation we all had below. To a T had a post today about a coworker of hers telling everyone he has Whooping Cough! Remember what I said about that ...
~ Pertussis (Whopping Cough): This was known as the most contagious of all diseases. A full 90% of the un-vaccinated will contract the disease if they come into contact. Before the vaccine, there were 147,000 cases each year, of which 8,000 would die. Whooping cough is still around, in 1997 there were 9,771 cases, but it's a drastic decrease from pre-vaccination times. And with a 5.4% fatality rate, we're lucky to have a decrease of 137,229 cases each year, which relates to 7,410 lives saved each year! 528 deaths per year are a lot, but much less than the 300,000/yr worldwide death rate.
Awesome, eh? 90% of the un vaccinated will catch the disease from that man. But don't worry, there is only a 5.4% fatality rate, so no reason to worry.

16 comments:

Io said...

I adore you.
And I hope you passed!

Lisa said...

Thanks Nancy! Now I have that song in my head and have the sudden urge to watch Dirty Dancing! Go figure!

About the whopping cough... doesn't vaccinating your kids just seem like a better and safer choice after hearing about that?

To A T said...

It's days like these that I am overjoyed that my parents had me vaccinated! Who knew one day I would be thanking them because my f*cking boss is an idiot?

Amanda said...

I hope the results come back within limits! You crack me up with the title though. (And funny fact about Jennifer Grey...after she got a nose job people quit recognizing her.)

Cara said...

Nancy - you are looking some prego!!

Dirty Dancing story - My FAVORITE movie as a pre-teen (yes, my parents finally gave in and let me watch it!).

At 15 my girlfriends stayed up all night watching and memorizing the last dancing scene - you know - the one when Swaze leaps off the stage to be with her! Soooo romantic!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane and sorry about the testing ickyness!

Geohde said...

The dreaded GTT.....I shudder at the memory. Daft me scheduled a growth scan right after it and the twins were going nuts in there.

My abdomen looked like two puppies fighting in a sack from the OUTSIDE. The scan was a disaster! :)

J

Anonymous said...

hehe - i bet half my office hasn't even seen dirty dancing (some days i feel old in here - and i'm only in my 30's for crying out loud!

Good luck on the 3 hr test! and wow, boy i hope that guy was wrong!

Charlotte said...

Ugh...those tests are horrible! I hope you are feeling better!

Nikki said...

Glad your test is over! When do you get the results? Good luck!

Carrie Ann said...

Jennifer Grey? NO way, your nose is much much cuter (and smaller) hehehe.

I bet you passed with flying colors (fingers crossed)

Sara said...

Love Dirty Dancing. I admit it. I actually thought I could dance like that. I even tried.

Anyway, I hope you passed your GD test. You make it sound just delightful!! LOL!

Wordgirl said...

I am amazed at how lovely pregnancy is on you Nancy you lucky girl!


Pam

Sarah said...

OMG, I loved the GD test. Call me a freak, but I sucked that 8 oz. orange drink down in practically one gulp and told them that I would have another one if I could! LOL....

My sugars came out to be 86, which I guess was good.

I didn't have to do the 3 hour test though, so maybe that's a lot different.

nancy said...

Sarah, I asked if I could drink two of the 50g sucrose orange drinks for the 100g sucrose cola drink I had to down. The 1 hour is fine, the 3 hour one sucks.

Sarah said...

Ah, I see. Glad I didn't have to do it then. Hope you pass!

Hollie said...

Sorry the test was hard on you. Hope you passed and don't have to do that again. LOL about the Dirty Dancing. Another reason for parents to vaccinate their kids...