Friday, September 26, 2008

Online shopping == a naughty Nancy.

Wow. The 3rd post from just today. I'm on a roll! (so if you are just stopping in to see today's post, you gotta read a full 3 posts!)

While I was sitting on hold with the Boston Red Sox to buy a set of Fenway seats (seriously, how can you pass up real Fenway seats?) I was clicking around for a few items I need want.

First off is a pair of jeans. I really, really, really do ~not~ like full panel jeans but I'm going to have to break down and buy a pair. The under belly jeans fit just fine while I'm standing up and walking, but good freaking lord - I sit down and I feel like I'm being cut in two by the band. And since I'm sitting down practically all the time at work, something needs to give.

First off, I wanted to get a pair of 7 for all mankind secret fit belly jeans. But for $225? Oy. Yeah, I can afford them, but I just couldn't rationalize it. I tried, yes I did, but my brain won the battle over my heart this time. Instead, I got a pair of Buffalo 5 pocket jeans with the same belly fit. The best part? Only $118! Yippee! So, since I felt like I was saving $100, I started to shop a bit more.

I ended up buying the jeans I already mentioned, a knit long sleeve black dress, a "day" printed wrap dress, a super cute pink cable knit sweater and a button down work shirt which has the cutest bow tying just under the boobies.

I couldn't believe I clicked "submit" on my order. $374. (shhhhh. don't tell hubby!). I rationalized this by the fact I have an "extra" paycheck this month. Sure, I should have spent it on our ever increasing credit card debt, but there is a lifetime ahead of me to pay that back! Instead, I added to it! (and then the red sox rep got on the phone and I bought two used seats for a mere $795.) Good lord.

Before kids we ~never~ carried a debt. EVER. And now I've got a good amount owed. If worse ever came to worse, I could always make a 401k withdrawal and pay it all off, simply taking the huge tax penalty up the arse, but hell, debt is the American way, right? ~wink~

But really. If I didn't have daycare costs, I could pay all this off in just a few months. And in 6 years from now, all my children will be in school and I'll suddenly feel like I'm RICH with all the extra cash laying around. Actually, in 2 years I will only be paying for one child in daycare, so I can pay all my debt off then. Right on. Thank goodness I have a fabulous credit card in which the interest is SUPER low (actually, I end up switching the same debt to card after card every 18 months or so, taking advantage of 0% APR for the most part).

Although I love daycare and would never change it for the world even if I didn't work, I hate paying so much for it. With the new baby, I'll be paying $26,175.50/year or $2,182.29/month or $1,006.75/paycheck or $503.38/week. Holy moly. I shouldn't do the math. It's way too scary. My point though is when I am not paying that, I'll be able to pay off our debt in just a few months. As long as I don't add to it too much, we'll be a-okay. (at least that's what I keep telling myself!)

15 comments:

Denise said...

Jeez, I can't keep up with your rapid fire posting! Initially I thought I would hate the full panel pants. But every other style I tried drove me crazy because of the pressure on the lower abdomen. I still prefer dresses to pants in general and I'm not looking forward to cooler weather because of that!

Anonymous said...

Ugh, daycare costs are killing us right now. I try to remember that in a few years when the kids are in school I'll be glad I kept my foot in the door career-wise. But I'm practically working for free right now and it's a drag.

Not in the Water said...

I can't imagine paying for daycare yet. We don't have the $1000K extra a month. But if we waited til we had that a month I would be 40!

I am personally banking on the hope that Daddy will watch our child(ren) when it's time. I'll some of his bills as a payment.

Enjoy the new clothes and new seats! I wanted a set from Shea....$869!!

DCat said...

What seats did you get to the game???
Soo jealous and I live 15 minutes away!!!!!
:)

Danielle

Jamie said...

Internet shopping is so evil. For some reason it doesn't feel like spending real money to me.

Until it comes time to pay the bills.

tripmom827 said...

Wow...I had no idea daycare was so much...that's terrible. Yes...in 6 years then, you'll be out of debt in no time.

I was just talking with my dh the other day about the good ole days...when we both had full-tme incomes and no kids to spend it on. Of course, we were miserable and spening it on IF treatments, but let;s just focus on the positives :)

ICLW

jenn said...

Daycare is the only thing that scares the shit out of me right now. Thank goodness the hub got a new job that pays more part time than he was making working his ass off all week before. I have a feeling that we will still be in some serious debt, but hopefully not too bad.
And that's why I'm cheap ;o)I worry too much about affording daycare! I kid- I've always been cheap- as much as I really could & would really love to, I physically can not bring myself to spend over $40 on jeans... I will be the target maternity girl!
I obviously still fit into most of my regular jeans, but the no panel pants I got are so comfy. I can't wait until I have to get some 'real' maternity clothes, or I actually fit better in the three things I have!

The Captain's Wife said...

When are you coming to Boston? I would So love to meet you in person!

The Captain's Wife said...

oh never mind my last post...now I understand you are buying actual seats...not tickets to go to a game. fooey.

nancy said...

dcat - I bought the actual fenway seats for my house, not tickets. Although I did register for the WS lottery in case we get there!

Captain's Wife - I go to Boston 3-5 times a year due to work. I stay in the financial district. I used to stay in waltham, so I had a car, but now I only do taxis and the T.

Elana Kahn said...

Hey, let me know when you come to Boston for the Sox game. I live in the city and we could get together for lunch!

Geohde said...

It's the specture of the cost of childcare x2 at once that scares me off full time work. A nanny is cheaper for us.

J

The Captain's Wife said...

Def let me know when you will be there next. I am in CT, and it is only about an hour and ahalf ride. I'd make the trip up and meet you in the North End for some kick ass Italian and Micheal's Bakery dessert...

Jennifer said...

I know your stance on daycare which is fine with me, but at that cost I would stay home. As a teacher, that would basically take my entire check. I don't pay my babysitter what she deserves....

Anonymous said...

we just brought seats from texas stadium (cowboys). they should be arriving right around the time the bean gets here lol. my husband said i "talked him in to it". i actually thought we were getting a deal at $700+ b/c yankees are also selling seats and i heard they were over a thousand dollars. regardless, i still think its pretty cool :)

diana (webmd)