Friday, October 19, 2007

Peter Pan. The Tortoise.

Did I mention I bought a tortoise for the kids? I thought a tortoise would be a good pet. It'll take daily work to take care of, but that's about it. No noise. No outrageous smells. No craziness. Just a calm, boring ole tortoise.

But our tortoise is insane. First of all, he digs his house. I have a very large house for him and he loves it. He makes paths through the substrate from where he likes to sleep to his pool to his food. He'll walk those paths a thousand times a day. He jumps (yes, he jumps) into his pool and splashes around. He devours the fresh fruits/veggies we cut for him daily. We take him out daily so he can really move around the house or backyard and that tortoise is freaking fast. No wonder he beat the hare in the fable.

We knew tortoises did so much? He's awesome. I'll have to post a picture of him soon.

And his name really ~is~ Peter Pan. This is what you get when you ask your children to name a pet. I should have expected it because I have a friend who's kids named their cats "Elmo" and "Big Bird". I always thought that was hilarious but never stopped to think that it would soon happen to me too.

Anywho, before it was "Peter Pan" - the other suggestions were "Tinkerbell" and "Earl". Isn't the last one kind of strange? That was from my 3 year old. Peter Pan, Tinkerbell or Earl. heh. But they settled on "Peter Pan". This tortoise is less than a year old and his life expectancy is 50. I'm going to be 84 years old with a tortoise named Peter Pan.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A tortoise huh? Hrmm...sounds like my kind of pet. The Peter Pan name cracks me up. Well, maybe when your kids get older they can rename him...after all, it's not like he comes running when you call him. lol

Birdee said...

Thats so funny, My son named our Cat Jenny Gump. He was into Forest Gump when we got her - So - Mis. Jenny Gump it is..

Jen said...

50 years??? I never knew tortoises lived so long! If he hangs on long enough, he might be able to collect some social security.

jenn said...

Holy cow- maybe the tortoise will go off with Allie or Ella when they grow up. I don't think I would want to be cleaning up after a tortoise then- just imagine how big he'll be!

I still remember my first pet- a beautiful cichlid goldfish named Weiland. Because I was 14 & in love with the Stone Temple Pilots...

nancy said...

He won't get that big - his max size is only 7".

lol - could you imagine that everything just continued to grow the older we got? All these people turning 100 years old would be giants! :)

Anonymous said...

How Fun! My friend has three turtles (about as big as my hand) and I think they are very fun watch. When she brought them home 2 years ago or so they were about the size of a half dollar.

How big is Peter Pan? What is the difference between a tortoise and a turtle anyways?